MREJ 14th Annual Land Development Conference
May 04 • 08:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Golden Valley Country Club
7001 Golden Valley Road
Golden Valley, MN 55427
Get Directions »
Early-Bird Rate $89; Regular Rate $99; $129.00 Walk-In Rate
Time: 08:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Deanna S. Kuennen, Economic Development Director, City of Faribault
Tom Lambrecht, Manager, Economic Development Services, Great River Energy
Brian S. McCool, Shareholder, Fredrikson & Byron P.A.
Art Plante, Owner, General Manager, John Arthur Homes
Dan Salzer, Development Manager, Scannell Properties
Chris Eng, Economic Development Director, Washington County
Michael P. Ramme, Director of Land Acquisition, Pulte Group
Jeremy P. Duehr, Senior Associate, Fredrikson & Byron P.A.
Tom Opsahl, Senior Associate, Gaughan Companies
John Rask, Vice President of Land, M/I Homes of Minneapolis
Luke Appert, Executive Director, Cushman & Wakefield
Drew Johnson, Vice President of Development, Oppidan
Dan Undem, Interim City Administrator , City of Forest Lake
Stan Gustafson, Economic Development Director, City of Cambridge
David Olson, Community & Economic Development Director, City of Lakeville
Phil Cattanach, Senior Director, Real Estate Development | Opus Development Company, L.L.C
Herb Tousley, Director, University of St. Thomas
Brian Pankratz, First Vice President, CBRE
New Frontiers: Lessons in Greenfield Development
• How private landowners can expedite business attraction.
• What does a successful development partnership look like?
• Annexation and public infrastructure improvements
• Business expansion vs. speculative developments
• What does shovel ready mean to the private developer?
• Working with the State of MN on attraction and infrastructure development.
Key Issues to Consider When Structuring Real Estate Joint Ventures
• What is a joint venture and when should you enter into a formal joint venture agreement?
• What are the key topics that must be addressed in a joint venture agreement?
• How do you protect yourself if a joint venture goes bad?
• Common pitfalls to avoid in structuring joint ventures
Land Development Forecast for 2018 and Beyond
• Current market conditions
• Development project updates: what is in the pipeline for 2018
• What are the challenges with land development and redevelopment
• How to get financing for development projects
• Are new opportunities for development happening in urban core right now
• Future development: where is it headed
Municipalities: Your partner for land development and what you need to know.
• The importance of site selection, feasibility studies and government approvals
• How to partner and work with a municipality to get your deal done
• How to negotiate terms to protect your investment and how can you partner with your municipality to reduce your risk
• How are municipalities driving growth and interest and helping private land owners market and move property
• Affordable land development best-practices and systems
• Important preliminary work that will save time and dollars
Residential Land Update and Opportunities
• Evaluating land prices: Where they were, Where they are at and Where are they going
• Evaluating bank owned lots and what is left to be traded
• What are the builders buying and why
• How are land deals structured today and how is it different from the boom
• What future opportunities exist
• Current and Future Project spotlights and updates